Writing an outline for a research paper
Institutions of higher education tend to give research papers as assignments quite often. It may scare you if you write them for the first time. But if you take your task seriously and make a good outline, you will have more chances to succeed.
An outline for a research paper is a kind of a template that you should follow when you write your paper. It should contain all main topics and sub-topics you need to have in your paper. An outline is like a map for writing.
- First of all, you should choose your topic. What do you address in your paper? It will help you organize your thoughts before the writing.
- Then you should decide what your goal is. What will be the focus of your research paper? This question will determine the type of your paper and its outline.
- Gather your materials. What will you need for doing your research?
- Determine a type of outline. For a research paper, you can choose between a sentence outline and a topic outline.
- Write the outline. This is the main part of your work on it.
- Divide it into sections. You need to have an introduction, the main body, a conclusion and a bibliography.
- Write your main ideas chronologically.
- Make sure that you have enough materials for every sub-topic.
These short tips will help you to write a good research paper. Read more on the topic.